Saturday, October 18, 2008

Every little thing he does is magic

I have to give a big NDM shout out to Karim Rashid! I know he's been around for awhile (I've also heard he's got an ego the size of Barcelona), but I think I love everything on his website!

Words like prolific, productive, and even fertile spring to mind upon viewing the vast array of his products. And what products! Karim's goodies are so ubiquitous that most of us don't even realize it when we see something he's designed (most notably, for Umbra). He has created fashion, retail/commercial spaces, art, packaging, light fixtures, consumer products and furniture, nationally and globally. Now that's what I call prolific. Some of his designs for various retail and commercial locations are so gorgeous yet so outre, and unconventional, that were I living a different type of lifestyle, and I happened to venture into one of them, I might be worried that those designs might trigger some kind of, shall we say, "raving" flashback? Whew! Case in point, some of his MANY creations...I swear the guy has creativity oozing from his pores:

Packaging for method cleaning products:


Collapsable/foldable light fixture for Flos:


Hanging pendant lamp:


Four Food Studio, New York:


Hotel in Brighton:


Metro Station, Naples, Italy:


Karim's crazy cool version of a "Jetsons" style kit house!


Good grief...even his bathroom stalls are things of beauty! (now if toilet manufacturers could only keep up...oh wait, maybe they are: http://www.trendir.com/archives/002569.html!)


Below are some of his "knit" light fixtures designed for Andromeda, Italy:





And the furniture! Here's a side table that's so simple, yet useful (plus it's cute):

Now THIS is a baby bed I'd use! Y'know...if I had one:

This, appropriately called the "plod" chair:

The easy-to-move-it-seems-to-have-everything sofa:

Wait. Where's the drink holder? :)


No comments: